Revised - Senior Engineer, Fixed Facilities
- 90,361.18 - 109,948.02 annually
- City Of Ottawa
Manages total project delivery using in-house and/or external resources for major infrastructure construction and rehabilitation projects, including roadways, transitways, structures, sewers, water mains, pumping stations, treatment works, drainage works, lighting, solid waste/landfill sites, cycling facilities, traffic calming, transit improvements, streetscaping and related underground utilities.
Responsible for all phases of the project delivery, from project inception through consultant selection (where applicable), public consultation, pre-design, detailed design, tendering, and award, to construction. Monitors, tracks and reports on project status, approves all project expenditures, arranges all project related testing, and handles commissioning/turnover to operating branches. Assignments involve major or multiple projects that are highly complex, of multi-million dollar value and may require extensive public consultation and environmental assessment and may extend over multiple years.
Participates in project identification, prioritization and planning; organizes the conduct of environmental impact assessment and other studies and all stages of the project lifecycle; contributes to the review/development of department engineering standards, and carries out other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
Four (4) year degree in Engineering or Applied Science
A minimum of eight (8) years' professional experience in the planning, design and construction of municipal infrastructure including a minimum of five (5) years of project management experience.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
P. Eng designation and licensed Member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario or eligible to obtain Ontario membership within six (6) months.
English oral, reading, writing required.
- Engineering planning, design, operations and construction/rehabilitation of municipal structures, infrastructure and utilities
- Related federal, provincial and engineering legislation, regulations, standards, codes and by-laws pertaining to environmental impact assessment, building, fire, health and safety, construction
- Processes for conducting and analysing environmental impact assessments
- Principles of project management, including cost containment/control and reporting
- Process for developing Request for Qualifications & Requests for Proposals, including acceptance, review and selection of consulting engineers
- Processes for tendering and contracting work
- Computer applications in an engineering environment pertaining to municipal design, project management, spreadsheet, word processing, e-mail and use of the Intra-Internets
- Protocols for responding to senior management/councillor inquiries, conducting public consultation and preparing reports, briefing notes and other communiqués
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and city policies and procedures
Competencies & Skills
- Manage concurrent complex, multi-million dollar and often highly sensitive projects
- Manage activities of technical staff, consultants, contractors, and co-ordinate activities with other levels of governments and external agencies/utilities
- Prepare formal RFQ's and RFP's; review, analyze and recommend acceptance of proposals from consulting engineering firms
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing to internal councillor inquiries and inquiries/complaints from the general public and to present technical material in formats conducive to various audiences
- Identify and recommend the solutions to health and safety issues and problems to ensure the safety of employees and contractors and to mitigate loss/project downtime
- Conflict management, influence, resolution and negotiation skills