Summer Student - Public Health Environmental Monitoring Assistant
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for assisting in the collection of recreational water and environmental samples for Ottawa Public Health. Including organizing and maintaining equipment necessary for daily field operations, operating monitoring equipment, transporting samples to designated labs and documenting the work activities throughout the inspection and sampling process. The incumbent assists with the analysis, interpretation, and reporting of monitoring and inspection data using various computer applications and updates Ottawa Public Health's social media platforms (i.e. OPH website, Facebook and Twitter) with up to date health advisories.
Education & Experience
Science, Applied Science, Environmental or Public Health, or other related field of study.
Experience in client services or public relations.
Knowledge of computer systems/programs.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated and have own transportation.
Knowledge of techniques for the collection of environmental samples and conducting inspections
General field safety practices
Competencies & Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel, and other computer systems
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Able to express opinions and make suggestions
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding documentation
- Willingness to work some weekends and/or the occasional evening
- Access to a vehicle and possession of a valid Ontario Driver's License