Summer - Heritage Leader
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Assist with researching, planning, delivery, and documentation of public and educational interpretive programs and events at museums and historic sites. Conducts interpretive tours and dispenses historical information to the community, utilizing first- and third-person interpretation techniques. Interacts cooperatively with museum volunteers and actively participates in a team environment to include all aspects of museum operations, and assists with public rental bookings and food services as required. Acts as public ambassador of the museums by participating in educational and promotional outreach activities and engages in customer service activities such as front desk duties, cash transactions, responding to public inquiries, setting up rooms and grounds for public events, recording of visitor statistics, and conducting visitor evaluations. Ensures safety of museum visitors and program participants, as well as ensuring the security of the museum and its contents. Opens and closes the site and performs some cleaning and gardening duties as required.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of second year College or university) : History, Museology, Education, Theatre, Public Relations, Classical Studies, or Related Discipline
Minimum of eight (8) months but less than one (1) year of related experience is required : Experience in working with the public in a client service environment; experience with clients of various ages; experience in research activities
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
• Current Standard First Aid/CPR "C" certification
• Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) certification
• AODA Accessibility Training
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check instead of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Intermediate and/or advanced knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel
- Familiarity with formal interpretation methodology and techniques is considered an asset, but are taught during the training sessions
Competencies & Skills
- Advanced verbal communication skills (the ability to successfully communicate historical information to the public of varying ages and interests)
- Strong writing skills for both internal and external audiences
- Ability to research, understand, and document historical data
- Ability to understand event and program logistics and implement as needed
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to understand and take direction and to pro-actively provide status updates
- Ability to understand the scope of various types of projects and work on them through to completion
- Ability to accurately record statistical data and visitor evaluation information
- Ability to comfortably and confidently speak in public to individuals and groups of varying ages, interests, and backgrounds