Summer - Camp Assistant Coordinator
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for assisting with the coordination of recreation, arts, aquatics or sports programs for preschoolers, children and youth during the summer months as well as the implementation of activities, supervision of staff and assumption of the coordinator's responsibilities when required. The programs may take place indoors, outdoors, in one or a variety of locations.
To ensure participants have a safe and enjoyable camp experience.
Education & Experience
High School Graduate
Minimum of four (4) months but less than eight (8) months of related experience is required:
Candidates must possess experience in recreation programming.
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
• Current Standard First Aid/CPR "C" certification
• Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) certification
• AODA Accessibility Training
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check instead of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Understanding the developmental and recreational needs of children.
- Accessibility Training (legislated as required training by 2010).
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic.
- City of Ottawa Core Training.
- Applicable City of Ottawa Parks & Recreation policies and procedures.
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance.
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
Competencies & Skills
- Must be able to relate to children and be a good role model
- Must be tactful, kind and patient
- Must be calm under pressure
- Must be creative and resourceful
- Must be reliable and trustworthy
- Must be flexible, creative and enthusiastic
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Demonstrates team work and leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams.