Summer - Specialty Senior Sports/Arts Instructor
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Senior Instructor, Specialty assists in the delivery and development of specialized program areas. Provide leadership to coach/lead and supervise programs, specialty programs and camps.
To ensure participants have a safe and enjoyable camp experience.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or university)
Minimum of one (1) year but less than two (2) years of related experience is required:
- Coaching/teaching experience with camps and/or coaching teams; played at least 4 years of competitive sport.
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
• Current Standard First Aid/CPR "C" certification
• Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) certification
• AODA Accessibility Training
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check instead of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Understanding the development and recreational needs of children.
- AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) Legislated training required by 2010.
- City of Ottawa Core Training.
- City of applicable Ottawa Parks & Recreation, aquatic policies and procedures.
- City of Ottawa cash handling procedures.
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance.
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
Competencies & Skills
- Programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music.
- Experience working with preschoolers and/or school age children and/or youth.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Ability to operate and required tools/equipment.
- Technical skills for the appropriate program.
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments.
- Experience planning and operating recreation programs for preschoolers, children and/or youth.
- Demonstrates supervisory and strong leadership skills.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Conflict resolution and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage simultaneous demands.