Summer - Camp Coordinator
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for the coordination of recreation, arts, aquatics or sports programs for preschoolers, children and youth during the summer months. The programs may take place indoors, outdoors, in one location or a variety of locations. Daily supervision of staff, volunteers and Leaders in Training.
To ensure participants have a safe and enjoyable camp experience.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or university)
Minimum of eight (8) months but less than one (1) year of related experience is required: 300 hours of working as a Camp Councillor/Leader or Senior Camp Councillor
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
• Current Standard First Aid/CPR "C" certification
• Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) certification
• AODA Accessibility Training
• Principals of Healthy Childhood Development - High 5
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check instead of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Understanding the developmental and recreational needs of children.
- AODA - Accessibility Training (legislated as required training by 2010).
- City of Ottawa Core Training.
- Applicable City of Ottawa Parks & Recreation policies and procedures.
- City of Ottawa cash handling procedures may be required.
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance.
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
Competencies & Skills
- Programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music.
- Experience working with preschoolers and/or school age children and/or youth.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic.
- Experience planning and operating recreation programs for preschoolers, children and/or youth.
- Demonstrates supervisory and strong leadership skills.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Conflict resolution and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage simultaneous demands.