Summer - Aquatic Lifeguard
- 14.291 - 15.469 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for ensuring the safety of patrons using aquatic facilities. The Aquatics Lifeguard monitors the conduct of patrons, prevents accidents and responds to emergencies by administering the policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the City of Ottawa and of certifying bodies.
To ensure the safety and enjoyment of patrons in an aquatic environment.
Education & Experience
High School Student: Grade 10 minimum
No related experience is required
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
• Current Standard First Aid/CPR "C" certification
• Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) certification
• AODA Accessibility Training
Advanced certification is required:
- Current National Lifeguard Pool Option
- Current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- Current Oxygen Therapy or LSS Airway Management
- Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) Operator Certificate
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check instead of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Understanding the developmental and recreational needs of children.
- AODA - Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (legislated training required by 2010)
- City of Ottawa Core Training
- Applicable Ottawa Parks & Recreation, policies and procedures.
Competencies & Skills
- Aquatic Instructional
- Lifeguarding and Lifesaving Skills
- Resuscitation and First Aid Skills
- Conflict resolution and problem solving skills with the ability to manage simultaneous demands