Summer Student - Environment Monitoring Assistant
- 15.11 - 1 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Assists with the collection of water quality or other environmental samples, and the installation and operation of monitoring equipment, using established criteria and protocols. Sites include storm and sanitary sewers, industrial dischargers, waste haulers, and storm water management facilities.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or university):
- Completion of two (2) or more years of university or community college education in an Environmental Science or Civil/Environmental Engineering program, or acceptable related discipline with suitable practical experience.
Minimum of four (4) months but less than eight (8) months of related experience is required:
- Previous experience with water quality sampling, environmental management, regulatory compliance, storm water management concepts, preparation of field inspection reports, data analysis and review, is desired but not essential.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
Students must supply own CSA-approved, green patch safety work boots.
Knowledge of techniques for the collection of environmental samples and conducting inspections; general field safety practices; and environmental impacts related to stormwater, wastewater and industrial discharges.
Competencies & Skills
- Able to express opinions and make suggestions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbally.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.