Summer Student - Bylaw Officer Assistant
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Under the supervision of the Supervisor(s), By-law, the By-law Officer Assistant patrols City parks to ensure compliance to the Parks and Animal Care and Control By-laws; follows up with residents on the non-renewal of dog/cat registrations (tags); enforces various Signs By-laws by proactively removing unpermitted signage throughout the City and enforcement of the Traffic and Parking By-law.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or University): Police Foundations, Law or Criminology.
Minimum of one (1) year but less than two (2) years of related experience is required.
Experience dealing with the public in a client service environment.
Some knowledge of municipal government.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
- Customer service techniques and alternative dispute resolution techniques.
- Computer applications (Microsoft Office).
- General knowledge of municipal government and the role of By-law Enforcement.
- The geography of the City and roadways.
Competencies & Skills
- Communicate effectively with the general public and all work related contacts.
- Work effectively under stressful conditions and deal with the public in difficult situations in a calm, effective manner.
- Meet the physical demands of patrol and shift work regardless of weather conditions.
- Explain and educate the public and clients on by-laws in a positive manner.
- Document operational enforcement issues, keep notes, and maintain records.
- Handle a City vehicle effectively.