Job Inventory - Assistant Cook
- 24.231 - 28.348 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for assisting the cook in preparing all food served, including general menu, special diets, meals-on-wheels, and Day Care Resident's meals, with an emphasis on resident safety and engagement. Work is performed in accordance with Public Health regulations, Ministry of Long Term Care Act, 2007 and Food Premises Act.
Education & Experience
Completion of Grade ten (10) and the Assistant Cook Certificate program (15 weeks).
One (1) year experience in an institutional kitchen setting or related organization.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
English oral, reading, writing required
- Knowledge of the Canada Food Guide, Ontario Public Health Act (Health Protection and Promotion Act: Food Premises), Ministry of Health Long Term Care Act 2007, Food Premises and the "Sanitation Code" for Canada"s Food Industry.
- Preparation of bulk food
- Preparation and cooking of vegetables, meat, fish and poultry, soups and sauces
- Elementary dessert preparation
- General knowledge of buffet preparation
- reparatory methods of entrees
- Food Inventory Control
- Knowledge of safe operations of kitchen tools
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Organize work
- Work under deadline pressure
- Follows directions and be self motivated
- Operate and use all equipment and utensils safely
- Follow recipes
- Control waste
- Workplace hygiene, health and safety standards
- Safe work practices
- Ability to work as a team