Revised - Real Estate Advisor I
- 65,008.58 - 79,099.02 annually
- City Of Ottawa
Reporting to the Program Manager, Property Acquisitions O-Train Planning, the position provides technical, appraisal and negotiating services and assistance relating to the City of Ottawa Stage 2 LRT acquisition program including expropriation proceedings.
Incumbents also perform or assist in research/analysis; participate in the development of project, capital and operating budgets; communicate with various internal and external parties, and fulfill documenting and reporting requirements relating to their assignment. Incumbents may work on cross-functional teams or specific projects.
Education & Experience
3-year community college diploma in business administration, property management, or other field relating to real estate services.
Less than one year
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
English oral, reading, writing required.
- General knowledge of applicable legislation, including the Registry Act, Land Titles Act, Municipal Act, Planning Act, Commercial Tenancies Act, Residential Tenancies Act, and the Expropriations Act of Ontario
- General knowledge of legal documents as they apply to real property transactions in Ontario, including agreements of purchase and sale, agreements specific to the Expropriations Act, easements, lease agreements, licences, and an understanding of contract and real property law
- General knowledge of City by-laws, plans, policies, procedures and processes relating to the delivery of real estate services
- General knowledge of the rights and obligations of the City and the property owner vis-à-vis expropriations, and the expropriation negotiation and arbitration process of the Board of Negotiation and the Ontario Municipal Board
- General knowledge of Municipal government structure, including the Land Registry and Land Titles systems
- General knowledge of the appraisal process, legal surveys and engineering plans as they relate to real estate services
- Knowledge of the Ottawa real estate market and general realty market trends
- General knowledge of Project Management
- Technical Report Writing
- General knowledge of financial principles and financial analysis
Competencies & Skills
- Self-motivated, and able to work with minimal direction in a fast-paced, multi-project environment, and collaboratively with others
- Possess strong organizational skills and flexibility to plan, initiate, organize and prioritize own work and to effectively manage competing demands, conflicting priorities, sensitive issues, pressures and deadlines
- Possess computer literacy in MS Office Suite in a Windows environment, including use of Intra/Internet
- Able to learn/use other advanced computer applications or software specific to the work assignments (databases, GIS)
- Possess a high degree of accuracy, and ability to draft legal agreements designed to secure land interests and/or releases for the City
- Possess research skills and the ability to interpret/analyze/evaluate issues and to make decisions/formulate recommendations
- Able to perform financial analysis and estimate project costs
- Able to write technical reports prepared in formats conducive to various audiences and City council
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication, and public relations skills
- Possess negotiation skills to participate in negotiations to secure the required property interests for the City
- Possess conflict resolution skills to influence decisions, and to deal with contentious issues and situations