Summer Student - Engineering Student II - Union 35 hours
- 16.04 - 9 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Assists the supervisor or designate in performing the following intermediate level engineering functions as required including:.
- Conducting engineering fieldwork including conducting visual surveys, collecting data, taking photographs Monitoring construction operations;
- Conducting general construction site office duties;
- Maintaining quality and quantity control of contract materials.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of second year College or university): mechanical, chemical, environmental or electrical engineering, architectural or civil/structural engineering program with a strong computer applications background.
Minimum of one (1) year but less than two (2) years of related experience is required.
Relevant work experience required.
Experience in Engineering environment will be considered an asset.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
Students must supply own CSA-approved, green patch safety work boots.
- Knowledge of project management principles and phases/life cycles of projects, related systems applications and data management tools
- Knowledge of aspects of the construction project management and administration process
- Intermediate level of knowledge of engineering theories, techniques, and procedures or higher mathematics
- Intermediate level competency in writing and testing computer programs
- Intermediate level working knowledge of a variety of computer software which may include Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access and Foxpro, MapInfo, ITX, Oracle, ArcView, AutoCAD, Microstation 95, data communication protocols, graphics programs, statistical analysis programs, Aperture, SPAN, and IMA7, etc.
Competencies & Skills
- Ability to conduct engineering fieldwork and drafting.
- Ability to read engineering plans and specifications, and reports
- Ability to read or prepare designs and/or technical drawings
- Ability to perform complex calculations including quantity calculations
- Ability to work with sensitive process and analytical instruments
- Ability to work in an office setting within a technical work environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, including participating in meetings, presentations, and interacting with the public
- Ability to operate a plotter, engineering copier, etc.
- Ability to follow instructions and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to recognize process problems to prevent the need for costly repairs
- Ability and willingness to work on construction sites
- Ability to operate cars and small trucks
- Ability to operate power hand tools.