Customer Service Representative
- 43,658.16 - 61,929.14 annually
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for providing transit (conventional and para) customer services including:
- responding to customer enquiries, complaints and/or feedback and providing information through various channels, including but not limited to: telephone, in person, on-line, (web, social media) and in writing
- processing financial transactions for fare instruments and other products/services
- receiving and processing transportation requests and registration for Para Transpo service
Education & Experience
Successful completion of grade 12.
Two (2) years of relevant experience in a customer service environment, providing service to the public by telephone, in person, in writing and electronically such as a call centre and/or counter service operations.
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency:
French oral, reading, writing required
English oral, reading, writing required
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Public transit system, procedures and policies, branch and departmental responsibilities
- Call-handling protocols / etiquette
- Problem-solving and customer service practices and strategies related to serving the public
- Fares/fare eligibility
- City cash handling procedures and policies, operation of a cash register, balancing cash and preparing daily deposits
- City of Ottawa geography, and transit routes and schedules
- Computer applications and databases such as: Microsoft office, Internet, SAP
- Filing and information systems
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights & duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Work independently and in a team setting
- High level of judgement, tact, diplomacy and problem-solving skills
- Organize, plan, multi-task and prioritize work
- Customer service sensitivity to meet diverse customer requirements
- Able to write detailed, concise and accurate descriptions of customer interactions including complaints
- Able to prepare written information including correspondence and reports in an organized, clear and concise manner
- Ability to listen, probe, and tactfully respond to client enquiries and complaints
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong data entry, keyboarding and information retrieval skills
- Possess good presentation / public speaking skills
- Ability to read, interpret and explain operating rules / procedures, maps and timetables
- Able to account for and report sales revenue