Inspector, Road Rehabilitation Project (Summer Seasonal)
- 41,190.12 - 48,195.68 annually
- City Of Ottawa
The Inspector, Road Rehabilitation Projects is responsible for carrying out inspections, measuring and documenting construction related activities of several reconstruction projects and road rehabilitation projects including full depth reconstruction such as Guiderail Upgrade, culvert replacement, preventative maintenance programs such as crack sealing and micro-surfacing to ensure adherence to contract specifications or standards and on-site safety requirements. The Inspector, Road Rehabilitation Projects is responsible for reporting on all observations and activities; implementing and/recommending changes to rehabilitation activities and procedures as required and recommending approval of contract works as set out in contract specifications or standards.
Education & Experience
Completion of two (2) year community college program in construction technology or related field leading to an Engineering Technician diploma.
Minimum four (4) years of relevant construction inspection experience in the field of heavy construction, municipal, structural or development projects, including two (2) years specialized experience in road maintenance/pavement rehabilitation and reconstruction.
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
- Successful completion, or ability to obtain within one (1) year, of the Municipal Engineers Association (MEA)/Ontario Good Roads Association (OGRA) courses in Construction Inspection and Bituminous Technology (two courses) or equivalent
- A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver's license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
- English oral, reading, writing required
- Basic principles of roadway and transportation structures construction practices, procedures, testing and quality assurance techniques
- Awareness of project management concepts
- City of Ottawa Standards and Specifications
- OPSS, MOE and other related agency regulations
- City of Ottawa Road Activity, Sewer and Water Bylaws and Permits
- Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Construction Projects for Ontario
- MTO construction courses
- Knowledge of applicable Occupational Health and Safety Legislation (Emergency First Aid, W.H.M.I.S., Confined Space, and Fall Arrest), including the rights and duties of workers
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft)
Competencies & Skills
- Read and interpret drawings, plans, contract specifications and translate this understanding to monitor materials, quantities and procedures to ensure that they coincide exactly to these requirements, and to track discrepancies or other related problems
- Prepare clear and detailed reports of contractor activities
- Demonstrate neat and legible writing skills
- Conflict resolution/problem solving techniques
- Work with minimum supervision
- Communicate effectively with the public, City of Ottawa staff and contractors, where there is an absolute requirement to maintain professional and arms length relationship to ensure that the perception of impropriety does not exist
- Safety conscious in a construction related environment
- Perform arithmetic calculations
- Work with basic survey equipment