Summer - Special Needs Camp Counsellor
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for assisting with all functions related to the delivery of summer camp programs. Responsible for direct client care and intervention, program adaptation. The programs may take place indoors, outdoors, in or a variety of locations.
To ensure a safe and enjoyable camp experience for special needs children/ youth registered at camp.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or university):
- College/ University (Nursing, Developmental Services Worker, Recreation and Leisure, or related field)
Minimum of eight (8) months but less than one (1) year of related experience is required:
- Children/ Youth with special need
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
- Standard First Aid
- CPR 'C'
- AODA Customer Service (Servability Training). Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) Operator Certificate
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Understanding the development and recreational needs of children.
- AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) Legislated training required by 2010.
- City of Ottawa Core Training.
- Applicable Ottawa Parks & Recreation, policies and procedures.
- Must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance.
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
Competencies & Skills
- Programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music.
- Experience working with children and/or youth with special needs.
- Ability to operate and required tools/equipment.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic.
- Lift and transfers procedures (as instructed and trained) to avoid participant or self injury.