Summer - Special Needs Integration Support Worker
- 14.00 - 0 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student, minimum completion of second year College or university, in a related child development field (Developmental Service Worker, Youth and Childcare Worker, Child Development Studies, Autism Studies, Psychology and/or Mental Health Related field, Therapeutic Recreation and/or Adapted Recreation)
- Minimum of eight (8) months of related experience, working with preschoolers, school age children and/ youth \ is required
- 600 hours of working with children and youth with special needs, camp counselor, leader or senior camp counselor, recreation and/or special needs programming, client care, program adaptation.
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
Standard certification is required and must be maintained current, as follows:
- Standard First Aid, CPR 'C'
- AODA Customer Service (Servability Training)
- Current Automated External Defibrillator (A.E.D.) Operator Certificate
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
English oral, reading, writing required.
French oral, reading, writing may be required for some positions.
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Knowledge of special needs population
- Understanding the development and recreational needs of children.
- AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act)
- Legislation protecting rights of special needs client, populations
- Services which may include practice guidelines and standards of client care
- Physical Accessibility audit
- Risk Management practises
- City of Ottawa Core Training
- Applicable Ottawa Parks & Recreation policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers.
Competencies & Skills
- Training in feeding and other personal care requirements
- Programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music.
- Ability to operate and required tools/equipment/assistive devices
- Ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic.
- Lift and transfers procedures (as instructed and trained) to avoid participant or self injury
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- Ability to promote teamwork and to work independently when appropriate
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, leadership and programming planning skills
- Documentation and sound written skills
- Physically fit and able to participate in active recreation activities
- Maintain a fun and safe environment