Project Specialist, Surface Water
- 78,116.22 - 95,056.78 annually
- City Of Ottawa
Responsible for providing technical support, managing operational assessments, projects and program elements related to surface water, stormwater and drainage within the Parks, Forestry & Stormwater Services Branch.
The incumbent designs, implements and manages projects/initiatives to enable the achievement of branch, departmental, corporate and community objectives. Retains and manages consultants to assist with project delivery, provides communication support to the unit and contributes to the achievement of departmental and City environmental objectives.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in Environmental Science or Civil or Water Resources Engineering
Five (5) years of related experience in providing technical and project management support for managing/evaluating surface water, stormwater, and/or drainage related projects
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated.
English oral, reading, writing required.
- General knowledge relating to stream assessment and restoration techniques, such as geomorphology, erosion threshold assessments, air photo interpretation and mapping analysis (preferably using GIS)
- General knowledge relating to stormwater management, such as hydrology, hydraulics, low impact design (LID) and interpretation and analysis of engineering designs and drawings
- General knowledge relating to surface and ground water protection and management under the Clean Water Act
- General knowledge relating to municipal and urban drainage
- Structure and processes of municipal government, including inter-governmental stakeholders
- Applicable legislation, policies, regulations and guidelines relevant to surface water and stormwater management and drainage, such as the Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, the Environmental Assessment Act, Clean Water Act, Nutrient Management Act, Drainage Act, Ministry of the Environment Stormwater Management Planning and Design Manual and City of Ottawa Sewer Design Guidelines
- Communication and consultation approaches
- Facilitation and negotiation processes
- Public speaking
- Research methodologies, data collection and analyses
- Principles and methodologies of project management
- Contract management tools and procedures
- Program and project evaluation and performance measurement processes
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Work independently, with minimal direction, and collaboratively with all staff as part of a team
- Able to identify and analyze problems and manage multi-disciplinary assignments
- Able to provide leadership to plan, lead, coordinate, implement and manage projects to completion, provide functional supervision to others, and to manage work quality, scheduling and completion
- Possess organizational skills and flexibility to plan, initiate, organize and prioritize own work, to manage a high volume of projects and to deal effectively with multiple demands, conflicting priorities, pressures and deadlines
- Able to use primary and secondary research techniques to perform data analysis, to evaluate existing and proposed processes, materials, equipment and operational practices, make judgments on the interpretation of issues/data, and formulate recommendations
- Able to manage contracted work, and foster good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders in order to achieve Branch objectives
- Possess computer literacy in applications such as MS Office Suite, database management, and project tracking
- Possess excellent consultative, collaboration and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage confrontational situations, persuade/influence others and to bring conflicting points of view to consensus
- Possess strong documentation, report writing and presentation skills