Job Inventory - Instructor, Special Needs
- 19.219 - 28.067 hourly
- City Of Ottawa
The Instructor, Special Needs will direct a therapeutic recreation, day program for adults with disabilities. Under the direction of the Portfolio Coordinator, Special Needs, this position is responsible for all functions relating to the delivery of the program offered through support of a community partner.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary education in Therapeutic Recreation, Kinesiology, Recreation or related field.
Minimum of five years experience working with adults with physical, development, sensory and other types of disabilities in a management of supervisory capacity. Experience supervising staff and volunteers. Experience with volunteer management
*Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
English oral, reading, writing
French oral, reading, writing is considered an asset
Current Standard 1st Aid/CPR "C"/Automated External Defibrillator
Current CPI certification
Behaviour Management Training
Working knowledge of alternate communication systems
Experience with volunteer management
AODA Accessibility for ALL
Vulnerable Sector Check
Note: Under the age of 18, requires a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters check in place of the Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Legislation protecting the rights of special needs client and populations
- Client care
- Health and Safety legislation, policies and procedures
- City of Ottawa and Parks &Recreation Branch Policies and Procedures
- Alternate forms of communication, systems and services respecting principles of working with persons with disabilities, Therapeutic Service Models
Competencies & Skills
- Trained in lifts and transfers
- Ability to lead groups
- Conflict resolution skills